The Parish Life Guild (PLG) is an elected body consisting of 18 parishioners – 9 men and 9 women, each of them serving a three-year term – which oversees the organization of the parish’s numerous fellowship events and is also responsible for distributing the funds raised by these events to local, national and international charities, which it selects. The Guild meets on the third Tuesday of each month to carry out its mission: “to actively involve the people of St. Luke’s as a community of faith, to develop and implement programs for ministry, and to support our parish as it reaches out to others in the Lord’s name”.
The PLG Fellowship sub-committee organizes and hosts fellowship events that include:
- The St. Luke’s Holiday Fair (November)
- The Spring Auction (May)
- The Annual Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper
- Lobster Fest
- Maundy Thursday Parish Supper
- Newcomers Reception
- Summer Picnic (June)
- Advent Wreath-Making
- Parish Christmas Party
The PLG Missions sub-committee organizes the church’s financial support for charitable organizations. These funds are mostly generated by the two largest fellowship events: the Holiday Fair and the Spring Auction, which, together, raise between $30,000 and $40,000 each year. Our 2017 Missions include:
- The Community Soup Kitchen & Outreach Center, Morristown
- Food Bank Network of Somerset County
- From Houses to Homes (Guatemala)
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Somerset County
- Kiwimbi International, Kenya
- The Lion of Judah Academy, Tanzania
- The Philadelphia Project
- Society of Anglican Missionaries and Senders
The PLG Scholarship sub-committee awards scholarships to teenage parishioners to assist them with college funding. It is possible for any parish member to assist in this effort by taking advantage of a scheme instituted by Amazon, through which St. Luke’s receives a bonus for every purchase order made via this link – Amazon.com.
For more information about the work of the PLG, contact the church office at 908-234-0002.